Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Typing up Call-Back Sides


Describe your internship engagement:
(5/3/12)

I spent most of the day typing up sides. We are holding call-backs for an upcoming show and the Casting Coordinator needed me to create a word document that she can send over to the director for approval. The director specified which scenes she wanted read and the casting coordinator told me to type them all up. These are the sides. They are lines from the script and the entire scene being played is cut down to about a minute or two of performance time. At the call-backs the actors will read from these sides that I typed up for various parts so that the director can determine how people look and feel as different characters. After that the parts will be cast and the show will move into rehearsal mode.

Technically I know how to touch type, so I didn't think the task of typing the sides into Word would take that long, but it did. I wanted to make sure that all of the lines were typed accurately, exactly as they appear in the script. It's one of those jobs that would be incredibly fast and easy if I had access to a computer with Adobe Acrobat (the full program and not just the reader) or some other program that does OCR (optical character recognition). But once again I encounter the problem of not having full access to everything in the office and having to track down the IT guy to temporarily fix this situation. Then once I do find him he has to sit down and make this one-time-exception so I can do the job that was assigned to me. I figured by the time I found him, and had all the script pages scanned and turned into recognizable text, I would run into printer issues again. So I did this job the long way instead because it would take just as long and ended up being easier. I couldn't save the side documents on the drive that the Casting Coordinator wanted me to because I can't access it. The IT guy told me that he can't let me into the Production Drive on the server because it's a security issue. 


No comments:

Post a Comment