Wednesday, May 9, 2012

IT Issues



Describe your internship engagement:
(5/1/12)

I didn't do anything too exciting. Recently I've been helping out in PR a lot even though technically I'm an administrative intern. I feel alright with this. Granted, I didn't expect to do PR work when I first applied but I find the opportunity to explore another department beneficial. My expectation with this internship was to gain new knowledge and observe the inner workings of a successful mid-size professional theatre company. I suppose I can do that from any department. Their year-long apprentice recently left so PR is under-staffed.

While sitting in their section I taught myself how to make photo contact sheets using the files off of our production stills CD for The Bachelorette and The Big Meal. My task of creating these pdf files compiling all the pictures was easy but printing them out was difficult. Since I'm a lowly intern my computer login has very restricted access to the servers and printers around the office. Oftentimes I can't do the jobs assigned to me without tracking down the IT guy because I don't have permission to access information or use the fancy printers. The IT guy likes to hide away from his desk, so finding him is rather troublesome. I've mentioned to him several times that the full-time staff expects me to have the same level of access they do and that this impacts my efficiency because the fact of the matter is that I do not.

Other than working around the printer issues I didn't do much else. It was pretty slow. I always bring my laptop to work so that I can do homework or side projects in my down time. I figure sitting in the copy room on my laptop is great way of screaming "I'm not busy right now! Give me a job to do!" and more often than not someone assigns me a new task. If that doesn't work I start going around the office asking people if there is anything I can do for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment