Monday, April 23, 2012

Highlights From the Helen Hayes Awards

I just got back from the Helen Hayes Awards. I think it ended around 10:45 but then there was a big after-party at a hotel nearby. It felt like Prom. There was an open bar, free food, a photobooth, and a dance floor. I have work in the morning at The Studio so I didn't have too much fun, but it was still really cool going to the awards ceremony. I'm a little tired so I'm going to keep this to bullet points and maybe talk more about them later.

-A guy from The Washington, DC Council came in to read to us the official recognition of Theatre Week in DC this week as approved by the District of Columbia Council something or other. (More intersection of politics and the arts)

-Kevin Spacey made a live appearance. Bill Clinton via a pre-recorded video introduced him and talked about how worthy Kevin is of receiving the Helen Hayes Recognition Award. That was nifty.

-Almost everyone said "wow" and "I wasn't expecting this" or "I didn't prepare a speech because I didn't think I would be receiving this honor" when they gave their acceptance speil.

-Diversity of theaters and shows being presented for nominations and awards

-The song about Thank You to our Corporate Sponsors was amusing. It was to the tune of a song from a musical but I can't recall the name right now.

All in all it was similar to the Tonys but with special shout-outs to DC and the people who make theater in DC possible.

I'm going to bed now. But if I think of anything else I'll write it down in the morning or after I get back from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment